Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Scott Aniol's review of Doug Wilson's Mere Christendon

The Christian Nationalism thing went hot on Twitter recently. Somewhat tied into the topic is theonomy and postmillennialism. I found myself walking away from some individuals who perhaps need to learn to be more gracious when contending - a lesson for me as well. It's a pity because in at least one case I've profited from the person's insight in other matters. Without actually having read Wilson's book, I thought Aniol's assessment below was good and agree with his thoughts.

When Stephen Wolfe’s book The Case for Christian Nationalism first came out, I picked up a copy, read the first third of the book, and then decided that it wasn’t really relevant to me at the time. I had written and taught about the biblical relationship between Christianity and culture for over a decade, had fairly firm convictions on the matter, and recognized quickly that I disagreed theologically with Wolfe’s proposal. It was immediately evident to me that his proposal was essentially an application of paedocommunion and postmillennialism to whole nations and, well, as a non-postmillennial Baptist, I didn’t think it was relevant...continue reading 

No comments: