Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The Unseen Realm - Review by Gary Gilley

You can read my clumsy review of Michael Heiser's book The Unseen Realm HERE. I've read other critiques by people I respect but am disappointed at their general approval. Some have noted a few problems here and there, yet suggest we chew the meat and spit out the bones. No thanks. Other fans of Heiser claim orthodox folk are frightened of his Divine Council ideas. Not me. Though I remain unconvinced, my real problems with it lie elsewhere. See my review.

Gary Gilley's indepth critique of The Unseen Realm highlights some of these issues. In fact he connected some dots for me regarding Heiser's view of Gen 3:15; 22:14 etc. And more...  

Michael Heiser’s view of Scripture and the supernatural realm has generated much attention within evangelical circles recently. His concepts have generated a wave of speculation that some are now riding. What does he teach and how concerned should the discerning Christian be? This critique will provide some answers...keep reading Gilley's review

2 comments:

Paul said...

Good review overall. although Gary Gilley seems to be unaware that the approach that assumes the Garden of Eden to have been the only perfect environment in the early earth is advocated by most Reformed evangelicals today; mainly under the thrall of Greg Beale's 'The Temple and the Church's Mission.'

Too, Heiser wrote the entry on "Divine Council" for the prestigious Dictionary of the OT: Pentateuch" so he is considered quite mainline.

Alf Cengia said...

Yup. Also Heiser's position on Psalm 82:1 is held by the likes of Stephen Noll and who knows how many others. I guess main stream isn't necessarily a good place to be. ;-)