Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Freely By His Grace - Review by Gary Gilley

Freely By His Grace - Classical Free Grace Theology is one of my primary sources from the non-Lordship Salvation Camp. It's a 600 page book and monster of a subject, often over my head. I picked it up a few years ago and plodded along for a while. The problem with these Big Subjects is that you have to look at the other side as well. It takes an enormous amount of time to do the topic justice. It is very easy to drown in complexity of details and fact-checking accusations. I eventually ran out of steam and set the books aside.

However, I did come away with certain impressions which have since been vindicated in a review of FBHG by Gary Gilley. He singles out Bing, Lybrand and Stallard, and I agree with his comments. My impression is that Mike Stallard tried to bring some balance to FBHG.

My interest was re-ignited some time ago when friends began sharing anti-LS video presentations. So I posted an article HERE and updated it recently. Presentations like these are often the only source of information they access. I'm not convinced that videos and podcasts, on their own, are the best information resources. And I know that many people won't fact-check because they trust the source.

Of course there are always good points made by the non-LS people. There are also some canards. Anyway, I think Gary Gilley's review of FBHG is helpful. I find him balanced in his approach. Read it HERE.

No comments: