Monday, July 22, 2013

How should we respond to the Muslim protests?

I have been meaning to link to this article for some time. Many thanks to Facebook friend Joel for bringing this very thoughtful essay to my attention:

Last month I awoke to the news of an Islamic protest march through  the centre of Sydney that was not entirely peaceful. I am Australian, but I live in Africa, where this kind of thing is common and often worse.

Earlier this year, one of my students from Nigeria was unable to attend the first two weeks of term because his town was under siege by Muslim insurgents who were burning churches and the homes of Christians. No doubt the Christians were also doing their own share of insurgency. Nevertheless, it was still shocking for me to see pictures of Muslim protestors marching through Sydney’s Hyde Park in order to uphold the honour of Muhammad. One photograph showed a child holding a banner that read “Behead all those who insult the prophet”! How should Christians respond?....continue reading Marching for Allah: How should we respond to the Muslim protests?

No comments: