Saturday, January 16, 2021

Revisiting "That Hideous Strength"

If you want to catch a glimpse of how evil can capture and shape the human heart, go read C. S. Lewis' book "That Hideous Strength." It is the last installment of what is commonly referred to as "Lewis' Space Trilogy." Doug Wilson calls it "The Ransom Trilogy." Since THS takes place on earth and each of the three books (albeit less so the last) figure Elwin Ransom as a main protagonist, I agree with Wilson.

I've always enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy: "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra", even though Lewis can be difficult to read and follow in areas. This is partly because he includes materials which some nonacademic readers (like me) may not be familiar with. 

My first attempt at reading an abridged version of THS was a failure. I tried, skimmed it and went to the back of the book to read the ending. I returned to it after I'd matured somewhat. On the second attempt I enjoyed it enough that I bought an unabridged copy. Since then my interest in it has grown. THS gives us stark examples of what can happen to people when they abandon God and give themselves over to evil. 

The organization "The National Institute for Co-ordinated Experiments" has been taken over by the demonic. It is not above bullying, lying, social and personal manipulations, and murder. The NICE seeks to destroy society and re-shape it to conform to its "own" values. Its values are, in fact, shaped by the devil.

My two most memorably evil characters are the Deputy Director John Wither and the "Police-woman" Fairy Hardcastle. But there are many other examples.  As I look around me, I see Withers and Hardcastles everywhere. The NICE is with us today. It is everywhere. 

Some links:

That Hideous Strength - Today

Wilson on That Hideous Strength

Other lectures by Wilson on Lewis' works

The Devils in Our World

Deeper Heaven: A Readers Guide to C. S. Lewis's Ransom Trilogy

3 comments:

Paul said...

My daughter is slowly reading That Hideous Strength. I believe it is a very important book for our times. I especially appreciate the strange mix of supernatural, ancient paganism and science. Yes, the NICE is here!

Alf Cengia said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I think I was in my early thirties (though I could be wrong) when I first read THS. T'm sure she'll persevere with it.

I rushed that post but wrote an updated version for our Zeteo 3:16 site. I included some thoughts about Mark Studdock, who I'm afraid to confess I too often relate to. Just finished reading the first two books again. This time round I really got a lot from the last few chapters of Perelandra.

Paul said...

Mark Studdock resembles too many Christian pastors and scholars I have run into over the years. I don't think you are like him!